Thread: Sabre Tiny USB DAC compatibility with Android Devices

Sabre Tiny USB DAC compatibility with Android Devices

Hi! I'm interested to buy Sabre Tiny USB DAC to be used with my Android devices.
    Has anyone has any info if Sabre Tiny USB DAC compatible with Samsung Galaxy S2 and Ainol Novo7 Fire?

Is the casing easy to be open? If it is compatible with my android devices, i plan to replace the USB cable with OTG micro USB cable, to be plugged directly to the Android device without OTG adaptor. Please let me know if that is possible. Thanks!
    Last edited by Earfonia; 05-09-2013 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Correcting the title

see my posting below... Anyone tried Sabre USB DAC with Galaxy S3 phone - does not work for me on an S3

Quote Originally Posted by Earfonia View Post
    Hi! I'm interested to buy Sabre Tiny USB DAC to be used with my Android devices.
    Has anyone has any info if Sabre Tiny USB DAC compatible with Samsung Galaxy S2 and Ainol Novo7 Fire?

Is the casing easy to be open? If it is compatible with my android devices, i plan to replace the USB cable with OTG micro USB cable, to be plugged directly to the Android device without OTG adaptor. Please let me know if that is possible. Thanks!
    I'm interesting doing the same thing, except with a Galaxy S 4. I think this DAC has same specs as the Stoner Acoustics UD100 (PCM2706+ES9023). I'm guessing the PCM2706 is most important factor in determining compatibility since it handles the USB interfacing, so given there's not much out there about the "Tiny" model you might first check for UD100 compatibility, then PCM2706 compatibility in general.

About opening the unit, I'm supposing it won't be a problem. I also want to replace the cable as you described. Are you going to hack your own micro USB OTG as described here and elsewhere?

Administrator
    A customer just told us the UAE Tiny worked with galaxy note 2.

I've tested UAE Tiny with my tablet, Ainol Novo7 Flame, and Samsung Galaxy S2. It doesn't work natively. It works with my tablet, only using the USB Audio Recorder application. I will try later USB Audio Recorder with Samsung S2. Looks like the app has the driver for the USB DAC, and can only be used with that application. The app is not meant to be audio player, so the player feature is very limited, plays only lossless format such as WAV and FLAC, it doesn't play mp3 and m4a. It's a pity the apps developer don't make one as audio player with the driver for USB DAC.

Hi

I tested the Sabre Tiny dac with a android mk808 stick and USB audio recorder pro, and it didn't work for me. There was a null pointer reference error.

Great news. Got the sabre dac working after upgrading the firmware to 4.2.2 It works great with the standard music player, and the build in eHome Media Center can also play music, even flac from upnp sources, and even controlled remotely from my phone as a upnp renderer. Just what i hopped for.

Had one delivered 5 days ago and it works very well with Samsung S3 phone - plug and play - still constantly amazed at the detailed sound I am getting form my phone music collection ... I use mainly in the car where the sounds are now so sweet!! The ideal next stage for folk from HiFiMeDIY is to find a micro usb powered version that will power the DAC as well as charge my phone - the sound should be even better - my screen can stay on all the time and the phone charge too ... FAB!!

This is a great product for portable sound!!

ported

Administrator
    Direct link the Android version of the Tiny dac (with MicroUSB cable):
    http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...product_id=124